Sunday, June 1, 2008

Carnitas

It only took me three tries. The first time I got the wrong cut of meat, and instead of falling apart, it stayed a solid roast. The second time it fell apart beautifully, smelled wonderful, but the wonderful flavor I was smelling didn't penetrate the meat itself. The third time - success!

1 bone in boston butt pork shoulder roast (NOT a picnic-style shoulder roast. I know it's confusing, but a boston butt is actually a shoulder cut too. I don't know how many pounds, maybe 4; I just got the smallest one so it would fit easily in my slow cooker)
canola oil
1 large spanish/yellow onion, chopped
4 large cloves of garlic, peeled, cut in half
1 small can of green chilis - whole, diced, doesn't matter
4 dried New Mexico red chilis, torn in half
1/4 cup Kosher/coarse salt (sounds kinda funny using Kosher salt on pork)
water
Abodo seasoning
Dried Oregano

Heat the Canola oil in a large pan and brown each side of the pork shoulder in the hot oil; transfer to the slow cooker. Throw in your onion, garlic, green chilis, dried chilis, and salt. Fill slow cooker with water until 2/3 full. Cook on low for 8+ hours. (You could get away with less I suppose, I just start it in the morning if for dinner, and in the evening if for lunch).

Transfer pork from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Using a slotted spoon, pull out all the onions, garlic, and chilis, leaving only the juice. Using two forks, shred the pork - it should just fall apart. Seperate out fat, skin, and bone. Put the pork back into the juice in the slow cooker. Sprinkle Abodo and Oregano over top and stir it in. Set back to low and leave until ready to eat (unless, of course that is tomorrow).

I got such a good price on the pork butt, I think I'm going to pick up some more and try to make pulled pork. Slow cook in salt water, then find a good sauce recipe. Mmm... pork.

No comments: