Saturday, July 26, 2008

Weekend Chores

I can't do laundry during the week. Sometimes I make an attempt, and start a load, but then it stays in the washing machine until the weekend. And by then it's starting to smell not so fresh and clean, so I end up having to wash it again before it goes in the dryer anyway. I feel like I'm wasting water and soap and fabric softener, so I've just accepted that I won't follow through, and now only do laundry on the weekends.

Unless of course, we aren't home all weekend, like the last two weekends. That's when laundry just starts piling up. Because, again, I'm not going to do it during the week, and I think Bobby has conveniently forgotten how to do laundry.

Bobby was talking about going out to his parents' house last night so they could get an early start on the pool. The pool had a leak, and was losing quite a bit of water, so they started to fix the leak, and that snowballed into moving the pump, adding a few jets, tearing out some trees, etc... Typical home improvement project, right?

I thought about last weekend, when I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out what to do with myself, and about the quite large pile of laundry, and about how much longer it was taking me to find something to wear to work in the mornings. Yeah, no. That's not going to work. I told Bobby that not only was I not going out there last night, I wasn't even going to go with him in the morning - I planned to stay home and take care of things around the house. I would meet him there at the end of the day, and we could stay the night then.

"Oh, so you can play on the computer." He says this because that's what I was doing at his parents' house last weekend.
"Um, no. That's what I would be doing if I did go with you. I have laundry, and the kitchen is a mess, and I need to do some deep watering in the back yard because I've been neglecting it entirely."
"Okaaay." He doesn't believe me. I will be sitting around eating bon bons, etc. (I don't think I've ever had a bon bon, actually.)

As usual, he didn't like the idea of sleeping over there if I wasn't going to be there, so instead he stayed home and woke up extra early this morning. Well, no - I woke him up extra early in the morning. He doesn't wake up by himself. Won't hear the alarm at all. I wake up, press snooze, nudge him, and tell him it's time to wake up. After snooze, repeat. Usually takes at least 30 minutes. I used to set up the coffee pot to go off when he told me he needed to be up - now I just set it up and one of us presses the brew button.

So I know I said I was dedicating the day to chores, but I was looking forward to sleeping in a little bit. 7:30am, please? Nope, waking him up wakes me up. Resistance is useless.

I did not play computer games. Or even read a book or watch TV. I was probably more productive today than I have been in months. I did seven loads of laundry (there is still two loads left, but they are just blankets, so they can wait), cleaned the kitchen, cleaned out the refrigerator, swept and used the wet Swiffer on the kitchen and dining room floors, deep watered in the backyard, cleaned out my car, and picked up around the house in general. I even attempted to make some focaccia bread, and took out all the house trash (even though that's actually Bobby's chore).

I'm a little tired now, but I like when my house is clean. And now that I'm showered and clean too, it's time to head out to Norco. As soon as this last load comes out of the dryer.

No comments: