Thursday, July 10, 2008

French Lessons

Do you ever get a birthday or Christmas present that you just aren't ready for yet? Occasionally, someone will buy me something they think I'll just love, that I don't necessarily dislike, but I'm just not really all that interested in. Then later, sometimes years later, I'll come across it and decide I'm in love with it.

This happened for me most recently with Peter Mayle's French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew. I remember it being a Christmas present (don't remember who from) a number of years ago. It quickly went on the bookshelf and was promptly forgotten (I checked the publication date - 2001, so it has to have been 4-7 years ago). A week or so ago I finished my last book, Gabriel Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude, and I was looking for something new to read. So I cracked this one open.
I am enjoying this book so much. It's light, and mildly funny, and makes me want to go to France and eat wonderful long lunches - and I'm only 4 chapters in! I even read a chapter about chickens aloud to Bobby the other night, and he enjoyed it very much too. And I don't even remember who to thank for it...

No comments: