Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gardening and a Bachelorette Party

As usualy, Bobby forgot to tell me. He and his brother were going to spend the weekend working on their parents' pool area. I learned this yesterday. Homemade ice cream would probably have to wait.
There is a leak somewhere, and the pool is losing a half a foot of water per day. The boys would be tearing up concrete and replumbing the pool. Quite a project, no?
On my way back from a quick trip to the grocery store, I inadvertantly drove towards my parents' house instead of back to Bobby's parents'. As I drove up, I spotted my dad digging up the grass in the front yard, and decided to stop for a visit.
"Dad, what are you doing?" His grass always looks great, why is he digging it up?
"Oh, we had some bad grass in this area right here, so I'm taking it up. I'm glad I am too, I keep finding these grubs, 3-4 per square foot, and I'm going to take some to the nursery and see if they are something I need to worry about." It probably never would have occured to me that grubs are bad things to have in your yard. Although they are pretty ugly - I dislike that for that reason.
After chatting with my mom for a bit, I joined them for a trip to the nursery. I've actually been wanting to get down to one, but I'm not familiar with the ones in my area. I worried that going with them, I might lose control and want to buy a bunch of plants that I have no room for. I mentioned to my parents all the plants I was wanting to get - chervil, more lavender, dill, curley parsley, a Meyer lemon tree, orange tree, .... the list is long. So what does my mom do? Starts looking for the herbs as soon as we get there.
"No mom, I shouldn't be buying herbs, I'm trying to be good and not buy stuff." But of course, I cave when she mentions how lovely the sage smells, but it's a six pack, and she doesn't really need six... I'll take half. It's over. Now I'm picking up parsley, and lavender, and dill. Mom was asked for chervil, they didn't have any. To my pleasant surprise, the herbs were only $0.80 each. Now, where am I going to put them?
After we returned, I finally headed back to Bobby's parents. The boys hadn't gotten very far. In fact, they'd spent most of the morning getting set up - renting the jackhammer, getting supplies, etc. I don't think they started until noon. Good planning for an outdoor project in July. In Norco. I helped take care of the kids a bit, but when they were sleeping Emma and I just did our best not to be bored. Neither of us really wanted to watch anything on TV, and I just couldn't concentrate on anything long enough to read.
Finally it was time to get ready for the bachelorette party, and the long drive to San Clemente. The temperature difference was quite startling. It was hot in Norco, but downright chilly in San Clemente. I was beginning to regret choosing a sleeveless dress. When I met up with the girls, I found that they too, were almost all wearing dresses, and marveling at how cool it was.
Lacee used to work with me, and for a couple years just before Bobby and I started dating, we were hanging out a lot. She and Alaina and Stephanie were roommates, and their place was where we used to meet before going out. Shortly after Bobby and I began dating, Lacee moved back up to the San Jose area, and I stopped going out with the other girls. I don't think we'd seen each other in nearly two years now.
We walked together from the hotel room down to a local restaurant for dinner. We discussed how much our lives had changed in such a short time, and how we had all been spread out. The plan after dinner was to go bar hopping in the area, but I had decided before hand that I would just go for dinner. I went back to the hotel and hung out with the girls while they got ready to paint the town, and as they were finishing up I said my goodbyes.

When I got back to Norco, Bobby, Brian and Jessica were layed out on the couch. They'd worked until 8:30, they said. I could tell that Bobby was exhausted.
"My mom is cleaning Katie's room so we can stay in there tonight. Brian and I have to start again early tomorrow morning."
I looked at him and shook my head. "I don't have my contact case or solution, Lucas needs to be fed, I need to pick up a prescription. Maybe if you had told me before I drove back I could have stopped at the house and then come here. You can stay if you want, but I need to go home tonight."
He didn't answer. I could tell he was giving serious thought to staying, but in the end, he hates the idea of not sleeping next to me, so he decided to come home. He and Emma were both passed out by the time we pulled into the driveway.

No comments: