Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Halloween Fiesta

Bobby took a statistics class this summer and about halfway through I discovered that his study partner just happened to be an old high school friend of mine that I hadn't seen in years. She came over for dinner and to study one afternoon and it was great to catch up.

Last night she had a Halloween party, and Bobby and I decided to go - along with his brother and some other friends. Since we all went to the same high school (at one point at least) it was likely going to be a bit of a reunion. Sure enough, we were all able to catch up with old friends and have some fun in the meantime.

I'd ordered two costumes having only seen them online - Rainbow Brite and a Pirate Wench.

I was really excited about the Rainbow Brite costume - I loved the show as a kid, and like the Care Bears, She-Ra, My Little Pony, and Fraggle Rock, it still holds a special place in my heart.

The costume looked a little short on the screen, but I'm a short girl, so I figured it would be a little longer on me. I could also buy some matching shorts to wear underneath.

When the costumes arrived on Thursday, I became more and more excited - I even got a light up wand.

Mais, when I got home and tried it on, it was really, really short - in fact, it didn't entirely cover my rear. I held out hope, though, and went in search of shorts to wear underneath.
So after work yesterday, I raced around looking for something to wear underneath. I was becoming really attached to the idea of being Rainbow Brite. The closest thing I could find were some boy short-style underwear, but I got home and put it on... it was clear that my rear was still going to show.
But that's not all. The top is also made for someone with a significantly smaller bust than mine. I finally had to accept that I couldn't be Rainbow Brite outside my own home - at least not this year. Maybe next year I can find (or make) a better fitting Rainbow Brite costume. At least now I have the leg and arm warmers, the belt, and the wand. Still worth the purchase. Besides, I should be able to find red shoes by then. :)
But all was not lost - I still had the Pirate Wench costume, which not only was a more appropriate length, was also roomy enough in the bust. I had some fishnets, and with my new brown boots it looked quite good.
The party was fun. It was nice to catch up with old friends, and I've always preferred small house parties to big social scenes. Poor Andy seems to find himself injured occasionally when he hangs out with us - a stick in his eye in February, and this time he was bit by a Vampire.
Janet was a Vampire, complete with the gothic looking dress, the dark, blood stained lips. She had been walking around "biting" people (OK, so she was really just drawing bite marks on them, but it was clever and made her costume more interactive) and sipping her blood red wine. But later in the evening she got a little too into her character and bit Andy's neck for real.
His neck was quite red and sore, but there was no lasting harm done, and it will make a good story to tell in the future. "Remember that Halloween party we went to when I was bit by a Vampire..."
By the end of the evening, we were dancing to Bob Marley - all of us singing every word...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You looked great girl! Good times, good times!

-Freida