Monday, October 15, 2007

French Onion Dip Sandwiches

I still had some leftover French Onion Soup from the other night, and after sitting in my freezing office all day I wanted something warm for dinner. I've recenlty developed a love for French Dip sandwiches, and was thinking about how similar Au Jus is to French Onion Soup. I picked up 1/2 lb. of shaved Roast Beef, 2 Hoagie Rolls, and some Provolone cheese from the market on the way home.

Preheated the oven to 350°F

I put the Roast Beef in a pot, and poured the leftover French Onion Soup on top - it just covered the meat - and threw it on the stove on medium-high heat.

I cut a wedge out of the side of the Hoagie Rolls so they opened up, but were still in one peice, layed two slices of Provolone on each roll so the inside was completely covered, and put that in the oven. Checked on it periodically, and pulled it out when the cheese looked melted.

By this time the meat/soup was bubbling. I used some tongs to pull out the meat along with some of the onions from the soup and piled it on the rolls. When all the meat was gone, I scooped out two bowls of soup from the remainder.

When I was done I had two French Dip style sandwiches that didn't require any dipping - the meat was juicy and warm, the cheese was melted, and the bread held the juice without being too soggy. The soup was still tasty, and we threw some bits of Havarti cheese on top. Tasty and body-warming - it was lovely! I think next time I'll throw some mushrooms in the meat/soup too - that would have been good on the sandwich.

No comments: