Sunday, August 3, 2008

Homemade Pancakes

My mom always made pancakes with Bisquick, so that's how I always made them. They tasted about the same as pancakes I'd had in restaurants, so that's what I expect pancakes to taste like. My ex once mentioned that his grandmother made amazing pancakes, but I didn't know how you could improve them. But then I was reading a post on Smitten Kitchen the other day about Blueberry Pancakes, and I was tempted to try her from-scratch recipe.

This morning I woke Bobby and Emma up early so that we could get out to his parents' early enough for Bobby to return something they'd rented for the pool construction, and after I dropped them off I headed off to the store to buy the necessary goods.

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

I probably should have halved the recipe, but for some reason I didn't. I did include the melted butter, and eventually added a touch more buttermilk because the pancakes were really thick. But OMG they were so delicious. Instead of being slightly tough, which I think of pancakes as being, they practically melt in your mouth. I had one with and one without blueberries, and both were delicious.

Katie woke up a little late, and was rushing to get to church on time. She originally declined when I offered her a pancake, but then I made her try a little bite of a dry pancake - no syrup or anything. She stopped in her tracks. "Are you sure you don't want to take one with you?"
"No, I'm not sure at all. I think I should."

I don't think I can go back. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with the giant box of Bisquick in my cupboard.

No comments: