Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Truffles

The most recent issue of Wine Spectator had a recipe for chocolate truffles, and I found another, similar recipe on a blog, so I decided to take some time out of my holiday to try it out. The two recipes were very similar - one called for semi-sweet chocolate, the other for bittersweet, and they had the same chocolate to cream ratio, although they were in different quantities. Where they differed was the type of chocolate used, the inclusion or exclusion of cognac or brandy, and what to coat the truffles in. I took what I liked out of each and came up with this:

Chocolate Truffles
8oz. bittersweet chocolate morsels (I used 63% - the highest I could find)
1/2 cup heavy cream, heated (but don't burn it!)
2 tbsp. cognac
cocoa powder

Put the chocolate and the cognac in a bowl and pour the heated cream. Mix well, but do not whip - you want it thoroughly mixed, but without air bubbles. The warmth from the cream should melt the chocolate. Chill for 2+ hours. Line a tray or plate with wax paper, and roll the chilled chocolate grenache mixture into balls, coat with cocoa powder. Chill until firm.

Mmm.... very good.

No comments: