Sunday, December 9, 2007

Skipping the Show

In June of last year, Bobby and I had a disappointing episode with a comedian we were both big fans of - Dane Cook. We had signed up for what was supposed to be a free show, but turned out to be a waste of good time, sitting in the heat for nothing. After the non-event I was very angry, and I have to admit the situation damaged my appreciation for his comedy as well. I didn't want to watch if someone had his stand up on, I stopped listening to his CDs. I was done.

A few days later I received another email from Dane (or the person that sends his emails) saying that he was very sorry that his team had handled the situation so badly - that he had known nothing as it was a surprise from him. He wanted to make up for the mishap and would email about a show in the area in the future that would be free to any that had been mislead as we had.

After a time, I had given up on the idea of reparations, and I haven't watched his stand up or listened to his CD since. Finally in October of this year - yes 16 months later, I received the email about the free show. I wasn't sure I even wanted to go, but Bobby said he would like to, so I sent our RSVP.

The show was for the Honda Center tonight. But Bobby has his final project due in the morning and some bids for work he needs to do, and I still have so much Christmas shopping, and cleaning up for the party, and just household chores that have been piling up because I've been working so much. We decided not to go.

But the tickets were supposedly good seats valued at $100 and it seemed a shame to let them go to waste. Bobby's friend Jon called, and I told Bobby to see if Jon wanted the tickets - he did. I'm still waiting to hear how the show was. But I'm not sorry I missed it...

No comments: