Thursday, September 25, 2008

Steak with Parmesan Butter, Balsamic Glaze, and Arugula

This was another recipe in the latest issue of Bon Appetit that caught my eye.  I made it on a Friday a couple weeks ago when Jess and Brian were coming over.  Jessica and I ate the steak salad, but the boys chose to have their steaks whole, and the greens on the side (because apparently, you aren't supposed to "feed a lion lettuce."  Bobby thinks that phrase is hilarious; uses it all the time.  He fancies himself a carnivore, although I can get him to eat his vegetables).

Bon Appétit |  October 2008
Yield: Makes 2 servings

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus Parmesan cheese shavings
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 12-ounce rib-eye steak
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
1/2 teaspoon (packed) dark brown sugar
4 cups (lightly packed) arugula
2 large lemon wedges

Mix grated cheese and butter in small bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside. Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to plate. Add vinegar, shallots, and sugar to skillet; boil until reduced to glaze, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Divide arugula and Parmesan shavings between 2 plates. Squeeze lemon over. Slice steak; place atop arugula. Top steak with Parmesan butter. Drizzle lightly with glaze.

It was a tasty treat.  Every time I cook with balsamic vinegar I get a whiff of it in the pan, I think I lose some of my capability to smell and wonder how it could possibly come out good.  But then the finish product is lovely.

I'll make it again, but next time I'll toss the greens in the glaze, since it was a little thick for "drizzling."

No comments: