Monday, January 29, 2007

Sick

I think I'm coming down with this chest cold that my mom and grandma and sister have been passing around, so I stayed home from work today. I need to take my Gma to the doctor this afternoon too, since we are going to have her stop driving - she got lost on her way home from my grandpa's nursing home on Saturday. She drives the same route every day, so it's not like she doesn't know where she is. Her eye doctor told her she really shouldn't be driving since she can't read the signs, and he limited her to going places she goes all the time and knows the routes to by heart. But I think that's coming to an end.

I feel really bad for my Gma. She's cooped up at home all day by herself (thankfully she and the cat have bonded, and he provides some company). She can't really go anywhere, she's lonely, her body hurts. Thursday she was at the doctor for 7 and a half hours, and the next day she couldn't make herself eat, so she lost 5 punds in 2 days. The doctor prescribed this medication that she is supposed to take in spurts (4 days in a row, and that's it), and it really messes with her - makes her very absent minded, etc. Well, Saturday she double dosed herself and made herself sick. Then my sister Jessica and her boyfriend came over for dinner and we'd opened a bottle of wine. My grandma isn't really supposed to drink because of the medication she's taking, but she loves wine and will sneak herself a half glass every now and then, as she did Saturday night. Then I see her pour another half glass... then later another half glass. I told her I was going to have to cut her off after that one. But I don't want to. I want her to drink wine and enjoy her life. I'm worried that fighting the cancer is decreasing her quality of life so much that it's not worth it. But that is her decision to make...

Ebony moved to Texas on Friday, and my Gma was pretty sad. I guess she told Bobby we weren't allowed to move out (he said her voice was cracking like she was going to cry). I cleaned that room and rearranged furniture, and moved furniture (like the toy box) from the back room and set up the room for Emma. The TV in Ebony's room is my grandma's so I set it up with our extra DVD player (so Emma has a TV in her room and we don't). It will be nice for when we have guests over too, cause now they won't have to sleep in the back room. Emma's going to be really stoked when she sees it.

No comments: