Thursday, June 1, 2006

The Tides They are A-Changing

I think there are moments in your life when change occurs. Sure, some things change slowly over time, and there are things that are always changing, but it seems like major life changes happen over a relatively short period of time, and often close together.

I feel like I've grown up a lot over the last year or so. I know I was technically an adult nearly 9 years ago, but I still always felt like I really wasn't there yet. What is it that changed so suddenly?

Is it because I'm crazy in love right now? Because I'm with the person I'm sure I want to marry? Is it because I'm almost a step-mom? Is it because I'm no longer dependent on a parent or guardian figure to support me financially? Is it because I'm done with school and working a full time job? Is it because all of these things are the case?

The strange part is that it all happened within a relatively short time. I feel like I wasn't a real grown up a year ago, or even 9 months ago. It seems this sense of being an adult, a real adult, has really only developed over the last 6 months.

While I still enjoy spending time with my friends, I would rather go out to dinner with them than a club. I enjoy a BBQ with my family as much as staying out all night with friends. I don't mind when I call my friends and they spend as much time talking to their toddler as they do talking to me.

I am an adult.

No comments: