Sunday, May 8, 2005

Movies on Video

Hotel Rwanda reminded me of Schindler's List in that it is based on a true story about a man who could easily have turned his back on potential genocide victims to save his own hide, but instead he stood up for humanity and was able to save a lot of people from being murdered. I think too few people realized what happend in Rwanda in 1994, and this movie does a good job of getting the idea accross without showing too much of the carnage. It is an amazing story, but be prepared to watch something a little lighter afterwards, otherwise you may be down the rest of the day.

The Incredibles was fantastic. Yes, it was a little more violent than the previous Pixar films, but this one is about super heroes fighting a villain, and it wasn't as violent as some of the cartoons on TV. Very funny and entertaining as a whole - I never felt like it was dragging on. Definitely something great to watch when you are looking for a film to brighten your day.

Shark Tale however was disappointing. I felt like it dragged on and the jokes were forced, not to mention that it seemed I had seen all the funny parts in the preview. The film had a message (basically that you shouldn't lie to make people think better of you) but it was too obvious, making the story VERY predictable. I'm glad I didn't pay to see this one in the theater.

No comments: