Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tasty Eggs

I don't like plain eggs. I'll eat them, because if feels more responsible than a big waffle coated in butter and maple syrup, but in general - I don't like them. Hard boiled is okay, but the rest - eh. If I'm going to eat them, I usually try masking taste with other ingredients, like sauteed onions and red peppers.


I was watching Ratatouille again recently (I know, I'm a little obsessed), and I wondered what Remy put in his omelette. I know it's an animated film, but I also know the Pixar guys worked with a professional chef to develop all the dishes in the film. I'd never had eggs with herbes in them before, and I started wondering what would be good. So I did what I always do - searched the Internet for a recipe to try.


Almost all the recipes said to use "your favorite herbes" which really was no help. One recipe for "Luxury Scrambled Eggs" called for adding cream which I thought might be interesting... I'd tried adding milk before, but never cream. This morning I decided to just give something a try; this is what I did:


I mixed together 1 egg, a little bit of cream (maybe 2 tsp? - I didn't measure), some chopped parsley (maybe 1 1/2 tbsp.?), salt & pepper. In a small pan, I melted a small pat of butter, and threw in the chopped white and pale greens of 1 scallion. After those softened up a bit (maybe 2 minutes), I added the egg mixture. I cooked that for a few minutes longer, mixing it around occasionally. Just before it was finished, I threw on some diced tomatoes and grated a little edam cheese on top.

Oh, it was so good! This is my new favorite way to eat eggs (it actually tastes nothing like plain eggs). Next time I'm going to try adding in some mushrooms as well. It was so beautiful too! (I would have taken a picture but my camera has died for good this time.)

No comments: