Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Cabbage

I really, really wish I had a functioning camera right now. Remember my cabbage? The one growing in my refrigerator that I planted in my garden? It looks like a completely different plant!


After changing from purple & white to a deep, dark purple after one day in the sun and earth, it has turned a greenish-purple color, and has a tall stem coming out the center and a set of greenish-purple leaves forming a bowl around the stem every few inches or so. The whole plant is maybe 2 feet tall.


Wikipedia states that "on acidic soils, the leaves grow more reddish while an alkaline soil will produce rather greenish-yellow coloured cabbages." So I guess I have an alkaline soil.


The structure is much different than I expected. I expected something bulbous and low to the ground - not a tall plant! There are however, what look to be seed pods near the top. Perhaps this is how a cabbage plant finishes it's life cycle; maybe it is going to seed, and what grows from the seeds would be the short bulbous growth I'm expecting...

No comments: