Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Soul Warming


I just spent a week in Lebanon, Oregon for a friend's wedding. Right before I left, temperatures here in California were crazy high - as in over 100°. I love summer, and I love warm days, but at some point I just start craving the next season. I was a little excited to discover that up in Lebanon, days would be nice, but evening through morning would be on the cold side. I got to bring my boots, and pack scarves. But while I was there, boots and scarves and tea still weren't enough. I craved winter comfort food. Something warm and stew-like and meaty. Something that warms your soul. Something like...

Turkey-Habanero & Butternut Squash Chili
Ingredients
2-3 tbsp. of fat of choice – olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard, etc.
1½ cups diced onions
1½ cups diced butternut squash
2 habaneros, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups turkey or chicken stock
2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
1 palmfull Alton Brown’s Chili Powder, adjust to taste
¾ palmfull smoked paprika, adjust to taste
½ palmfull cumin, adjust to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped (optional, but highly recommended; adds an unexpected meatiness to the chili)

Directions
Melt the fat in a Dutch oven or other large pot.  Add diced onion and sauté until golden.  Add butternut squash and sauté a few minutes more.  Add habanero and garlic and sauté a minute more.  Add stock, diced meat, chili powder, paprika and cumin.  Bring to simmer and maintain until vegetables are tender.  Salt & pepper to taste.   Add chopped chard and continue to simmer until soft but still green (about 4 minutes). Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.

No comments: